Thursday, June 12, 2008

Planning Permission


This one will be in English so that all of our firends can understand.

After months (I believe it is easily 24) of milling over house designes, digging perculation trial pits (3 tests in total x 6 pits each!!), deciding site location and panicing over costs, have we at last finalised our plans and submitted our application for planning permission to Limerick County Council.

Mixed feelings about everything - terror and excitement in equal measures.
The road so far has not been easy and the worst is yet to come. Or so we are lead to believe.
Giving the general state of the economy in the country, and our own economy in particular, we are seriously considering holding off on starting our build until the situation improves.
Ireland, like most of Europe, is about to enter into a downturn in the economy with a very noticeable crash in the construction industry, happening as we speak. Interest rates are getting more infalted by the day and we are both wondering how long it wil take until it all collapses. It doesn't help that the media is hyping everything up and keep portraying one doomsday scenario after another. The fact is though that people are losing their jobs all over the place and no one seems to be safe any more. Seamus should be relatively secure in his job. Even 30 years ago, when Ireland effectively was considered a 3rd world country, did people pay to have their garden machinery serviced. Yours truely, on the other hand - a totally different story.
My job is directly associated with the construction industry, so if that crashes, so does commercial archaeology. Adding to that little nugget of reality is that I was last person in the company to be employed and would therefore be the first one out, should they start firing managers tomorrow.

I am trying to stay positive and work my arse off so as to make myself indispensible, in hope that I will be rewarded in some way if push comes to shove. The future is difficult to predict at the best of times but these days, they are impossible.

Anyway, enough ranting. This blog was supposed to be a happy one. Back to the house business.

Alittle bit about the house design:

We decided on a replication of a two-storey Georgian farmhouse, the original of which would be quite a common feature in these parts of the country.
We wanted something that would look stylish and that would blend in well with the countryside. Being interested in all things 'old' obviously swayed our (you should probably read 'my') choice towards this style. The good thing is that we both have agreed on every detailed design desicion that has been made so far. It is amazing how effective the power of suggestion can be :-).

The old style of the house will be complemented with a mix of old and new interior design ideas. For example, we have chosen a fairly open plan floor plan downstairs with a kitchen, running front wall to back wall along 1/3 of the house, and a mirror image sized lounge on the opposite side. The middle section will be divided in two, with a large entrance hall at the front and a utility come-pantry area and downstairs loo at the back.
Extending out from the kitchen will be a large 'sun room'/conservatory, which will double as a formal dining room. The kitchen on the other hand will have a 'country'-feel to it (provided the budget will allow it) and altough we haven't quite decided if we should install an Aga, we will definately have an open fireplace smack-bang along the centre wall section. The upstairs will have 4 equal-sized double bedrooms (no excuse for not coming to visit us now lads). The master bedroom will be equipped with an en-suite and a walk-in wardrobe and the other bedrooms will share a good-sized familt bathroom.

I have every wall colour, skirting board and piece of furniture planned out already. The only thing left to decide is what type of central heating sytem to go for. We made a decision a long time ago that we wouldn't even entertain the idea of oil or gas heating. Burning fossil fuels would weigh too heavy on our conscience. Besides, it will get increasingly more expesive for each year.

Brother Stefan and co. installed a wall mounted heat invertor pump a couple of years ago and seem very happy with it. Question is if it would be enough for the size of our house..? The other option is geothermal heating, preferably the coil version buried in trenches in the back garden. We would have ample space and it does seem like a good option energy-wise. The other thing to consider is underfloor heating or radiators. I admit I haven't really studied the pros and cons yet but I'm about to get stuck into it soon. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, please don't hesitate - I am all about the alternative energy at the moment.

The landscaping of the garden is also there, or there about, finished. Not exactly put on plan but we do know that our driveway (c.100m long) will be flanked by alternate cherry blossom and red Canadian Maple (Azer) trees.
Having had the luxury of a green house for the past 3 years, I know I wouldn't be able to live without one, so the plans are to put one (alt. a smallish poly-tunnel) at the back of the house. My home-designed veg boxes will be transported from our current garden to the new one, and probably extended to accommodate more varieties of greens. In order to get some privacy from the road I'll be planting a fruit orchard at the front of the house. The local garden centre sell all kinds of apple, pear, plum, and damson trees for next to nothing and I will consult the River Cottage crowd for layout ideas when the time comes.

I feel very fortunate to live in a country where almost any plant will prosper if planted correctly. Can you imagine rows of lavender, lush hydrangea hortensia shurbs and peony plants growning everywhere? I certainly can and I get all gooey inside at the thought of it. The idea will be to plant as many perennials as I can fit into our 1.5 acre site and that my garden will be full of edible flowers, herbs and veg to keep us as self-sufficient as possible.

To all of you who think my plans are too ambitious I just want to say: You just bloody wait! Of course all of this wont happen in one season, I am not completely detached from reality. This will be a labour of love project which will take years and I'm prepared for it. Besides, it is not impossible, it just takes time and a lot of elbow grease.
Look at my dear, dear uncle Rolf and his fab wife Maria and their garden. Both are in full time employment, with a young child and they have managed to create a work of art of their once overgrown site. Lads if you are reading this - YOU (and your garden) are my inspiration! Expect emergency calls when my rose bushes get black spots and the slugs have consumed all of my vegetables. I'm not kidding...

So...that is how things stand at the mo. No shortage of ideas. Perhaps not necessarily a budget to match, but hey, it doesn't cost anything to dream.

I have a picture of what our house will look like, unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to attach so I'll have to try again later. We have ripped heavily off that house design and we think it is perfect. Slightly smaller and without the extended secion at the back, but the facade, the colours, windows and door will be exactly the same.

Thanks for letting me get carried away with my dream (are you still awake?). I haven't mentioned the house on my blog before beacuse it hasn't felt real until now.
Today, however, it is official - we are with house!

Slan


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jisses så spännande! Och så skönt att det äntligen börjar hänta nåt. Ja, jag lovar att ditt hus kommer att vara färdigbyggt och inflyttningsklart, och jag sitter här fortfarande med mina gröna köksluckor.

Hata gröna köksluckor.

Åsa Carlsson said...

Blatt ar flott, rott ar sott, gult ar fult och gront ar skont. Det ar inget som helst fel pa dina koksluckor.